Reclaim the Curb Competition
We like food fresh, fair and free. We like curb-sides that enrich and connect people. We’d like to support people that are inspired by the same things.
Reclaim the Curb, with support from Cultivating Community is making a minimum of $1,500 available to share across 3 exciting projects that put people and food, together, on curb-sides across Australia.
Competition entries should address the following requirements:
- The project must use food as a way to activate an existing curb-side, or build on already active curb-sides. For example, planting fruit trees or making planter boxes that enhance curb-sides and streetscapes.
- Must be implemented by October 2013
- Projects should consider how simple infrastructure can support social exchange around food – or example, a food box for protecting food stuffs that can be swapped and shared by passersby, or a table and chairs that people can sit at and enjoy
- Demonstrate that residents and businesses local to the project have been consulted, and are supportive of the plan
- Demonstrate that the plan complies with local council requirements, or at a minimum:
- Is safe
- Does not obstruct passing foot or vehicle traffic, including space for opening car-doors
- Has a maintenance plan to ensure the space is well kept
- And include:
- Details of the site including the address, photos, video’s or drawings
- Details of the project plan including visual and verbal descriptions
- Documentation that shows the project requirements listed above have been addressed
Three winners will be selected by a panel with representatives across the food activist field (more details on this to come, tune into the blog and facebook).
The prize money is currently $1,500 and will grow by the time the finalists are announced in May 31. The money will be used to pay for trees, seeds and manure/compost/clean soil. Winners will be expected to source their own materials including timber, spades, tools and other equipment used to build structures required for the project. If you wish to support this project please email reclaimthecurb (at) gmail.com Send questions and entries to reclaimthecurb (at) gmail.
Deadline is 5pm 31st May 2013.