Posts Tagged ‘peri-urban agriculture’
Information drawn from Urbis Think Tank and Plan Melbourne:
The Discussion Paper, “Melbourne – let’s talk about the future,” is part of the work currently underway in preparation for a new Metropolitan Strategy for Melbourne’s next 3 decades of growth and change. The paper is intended to stimulate dialogue across the community, private sector and industry around a series of ideas and principles for the future of the city. A draft Metropolitan Plan will then be shaped from the current consultation around these principles, due for release in Autumn 2013.
The Government is calling for input on the proposed principles, which raise fundamental issues around the growth and structure of the city, including:
- The structure and location of job clusters in the new economy;
- Opportunities for strategic renewal in areas that are ripe for urban transformation;
- Partnership opportunities to realise new ways of funding for urban infrastructure;
- The potential for long term containment of the city by a permanent green belt.
The 9 principles are focused around three key themes:
- “What most people value about Melbourne”, (principles 1 to 5) exploring ideas that could inform a future vision for Melbourne,
- “What needs to change”, (principles 6 & 7), focusing on how Melbourne’s urban form should be managed at a metropolitan and local scale.
- Implementation considerations (principles 8 & 9), focusing on leadership and partnerships.
Opportunities to comment through online forums or event attendance are currently open, with comments closing on March 1, 2013.
>> Read the Discussion Paper
>> Get Involved