Posts Tagged ‘environmental initiatives’
Posted in Events by Kate Archdeacon on August 23rd, 2012
|29 August , 2012|
|4 September , 2012|
Tree planting projects at The Island Reserve, Werribee Gorge will be held on 29th August and 4th September.
`The Island` is a narrow, lava-capped ridge at the junction of Myrniong Creek and the Werribee River. A large property of over 200 hectares, it was donated to Conservation Volunteers in 2006.
Although `The Island` is directly next to the Werribee Gorge State Park, it is significantly degraded and a focus of Conservation Volunteers is to restore it back to environmental health.
You can be a part of this environmentally significant project by planting hundreds of native trees, shrubs and grasses this year!
If you would like more information or would like to make a booking phone Heidi on 03 9326 8250 or email melbourne
Earth Matters – www.earthmatters.org.au
A weekly radio program covering local, national and international environmental issues with a strong social justice bent. Bringing fresh environmental news to the people, Earth Matters reports on environmental campaigns and critical ecological issues. Interviewees range from environmental activists, commentators and scientists. Produced at Radio 3CR in Melbourne and distributed around Australia on the Community Radio Network.
Recent shows on Earth Matters (available for download / podcast):
- 30th July – Urban forestry – towers through the trees Urban Forestry identifies trees as a critical element of urban infrastructure and is a method for creating sustainable urban ecosystems.
- 24th July – Lurujarri Songline; Protecting Land & Sea The incredible story of the James Price Point Blockade in the Kimberley where 25 people were arrested for protesting this month & Joseph Roe is inspiring a divided community to reunite & save the ancient Songline of the Goolaraboloo People.
- 17th July – Solar hot water and people power A vision to set up a workers’ cooperative building solar hot water units in the Latrobe Valley, which ultimately wants to involve people across the country and change our economy.
Tune in on 3CR: Sunday 11 – 11.30am
Repeats: Monday 10.30 – 11am, Wednesday 6.30 – 7am
Ellen Regos and the Metropolitan Waste Management Group, Sustainable Cities Round Table on Waste Not Want Not, 24 September 2008
Ellen Regos, Project Officer, Metropolitan Waste Management Group (MWMG), presented on the topic of “The Waste Wise Melbourne Network” at the recent Sustainable Cities Round Table on “Waste Not Want Not“. The MWMG is a legally constituted body responsible for coordinating municipal waste management activities in metropolitan Melbourne. It is the successor at law to the four former Regional Waste Management Groups who were the:
* Eastern Regional Waste Management Group (trading as Least Waste),
* Northern Regional Waste Management Group,
* South-Eastern Regional Waste Management Group
* Western Regional Waste Management Group (trading as Metro West Waste)
The Waste Wise Melbourne Network is one project of MWMG that supports businesses in the CBD to be Waste Wise by sharing information, knowledge and skills. The Melbourne Network supports businesses in the CBD to undertake Sustainability Victoria’s Waste Wise program. The Waste Wise program supports businesses to become Waste Wise Certified by following five simple steps aimed to reduce waste within the workplace. The Program is run in partnership between Sustainability Victoria and the Metropolitan Waste Management Group. To view Ellen’s video presentation about this service see below.