Posts Tagged ‘debate’
Posted in Events by Kate Archdeacon on September 13th, 2011
|15 September , 2011|
|6:30 pm||to||8:30 pm|
It’s a debate with a decidedly apocalyptic ring: stand by while the dynamics of life on earth change irrevocably, or try to take action that may slow or halt the process – and in so doing possibly compromise our way of life. It’s a debate that challenges fundamental assumptions about evidence, responsibility and governance. And it’s a debate coming soon to the Melbourne Town Hall. Few issues of recent times have divided Australia as much as how we should respond to climate change. The Gillard government’s proposed carbon tax is the most controversial policy proposal in at least a decade. Proponents struggle to convince the public of the link between a new, broad-based tax and climate change mitigation, while opponents recite their mantra: “A tax won’t fix climate change”.
This September, the carbon tax debate comes home to roost. The next Intelligence Squared debate will tackle the scaremongering, dispel the fictions and, one can only hope, end the confusion. Come and hear panelists from both sides of the divide: politicians, scientists, academics and stakeholders make their case and plead their cause.
6:30PM – 8:30PM, Thursday 15 September
Melbourne Town Hall
Posted in Events by Kate Archdeacon on February 7th, 2011
|18 February , 2011|
|7:00 pm||to||9:30 pm|
The Sustainable Living Festival presents the Great Debate
Environmentalism Is Failing: Or is it on the verge of creating a transition to a safe climate future?
Gear up for this one; it’s the Festival Great Debate. Hear some of Australia’s foremost environmentalists reflect on the successes and failures of the environment movement. Don’t miss this feature event as speakers present their case for a way forward for environmentalism in the 21st century. This event will be filmed for ABC TV.
- David Suzuki: World-renowned scientist, broadcaster & activist
- Clive Hamilton: Author and public intellectual
- Ian Lowe: President of the Australian Conservation Foundation
- Senator Christine Milne: Deputy Leader of Australian Greens
- Anna Rose: Co-founder of the Australian Youth Climate Coalition
- Philip Sutton: Author of Climate Code Red & Co-founder of Safe Climate Australia
- Moderated by Julia Zemiro
Friday, February 18, 2011 from 7:00 PM – 9:30
BMW Edge, Federation Square, Melbourne
Tickets $25 Book through Eventbrite: slfgreatdebate.eventbrite.com
Posted in Events by Kate Archdeacon on November 20th, 2010
|24 November , 2010|
|6:00 pm||to||8:00 pm|
Come and hear your political leaders present their parties’ policies on the future of native forest logging in Victoria. To incite healthy debate, politicians will be joined on the panel by forest campaigner Luke Chamberlain and Conservation Lawyer Vanessa Bleyer.
• Hon Gavin Jennings, Labor Minister for Environment, Climate Change and Innovation,
• Peter Walsh, Coalition Shadow Minister for Agriculture,
• Brian Walters, Greens state candidate for Melbourne;
• Luke Chamberlain, The Wilderness Society’s Forest Campaigner and;
• Vanessa Bleyer, Conservation Lawyer.
Facilitated by Brendan Sydes of the Environment Defender’s Office.
24 Nov 6pm
RMIT University, City Campus, 340 Swanston St Melbourne (Building 8, Level 10, Room 22) All welcome
Gold coin donation
Info: Pia Perversi-Burchall, 0412 739 201 or pia.pb