Event & Local Action – Local Responses to Poverty: socially sustainable and/or band-aid solutions?
An Anti-Poverty Week Policy Forum
The VLGA, City Of Boroondara, City of Yarra and Federation Boroondara present:
2-4pm Tuesday 16 October, 2007
Fitzroy Town Hall Reading Room, Napier St Fitzroy
Local Governments have neither the resources, the legislative or the taxation powers to alleviate poverty. Yet our role is critical in the face of continuing cost shifting.
Despite perceptions that the Cities of Boroondara and Yarra are places of great wealth, there are still pockets of disadvantage with families and singles struggling to make ends meet. To make a difference, were working with local communities and welfare groups to address the underlying causes and manifestations of poverty, such as food insecurity and social exclusion.
If you are interested in:
* The extent of food insecurity and social exclusion
* Access to emergency relief and material aid
* The role of local government
* Innovative local responses and partnerships
* Implications for social sustainability, health and wellbeing
Come along to hear:
* Di Cummins, Foundation Boroondara Executive Officer
* Cr Beth Davidson, VLGA President
* Rod Wilson, Inner East Community Health CEO
* David Ring, St Marys House of Welcome in Yarra Social Worker
* Marnie Dixon, RDNS Homeless Persons Nurse
Introduced by Yarra Mayor Jenny Farrar and Boroondara Mayor Philip Healey. Chaired by VLGA CEO Rae Perry, with options for advocacy provided by Boroondara CEO Peter Johnstone.
Afternoon Tea provided
RSVP to Sarah Howe: sarah @vlga.org,au or 9349 7903