Community-Supported Agriculture + Supermarket: Cairns
Real Food Network produce at a local farmers’ market
The Real Food Network in Cairns, North Queensland, has been providing members with weekly boxes of locally-grown, mostly organic and biodynamic fruit and veggies for a couple of years in a community-supported agriculture (CSA) model. This effort alone benefits a community that is regularly cut off, by cyclones and floods, from a food supply chain that depends on north-south travel along the coast.
Now the Network has gone further in establishing local food systems, setting up a community based supermarket in collaboration with a disability employment service, Ostara. Real Food Plus employs clients of Ostara, with the shop’s fit-out and decor built by the staff from recycled and reclaimed materials. The supermarket is a pick-up point for CSA boxes, but also sells surplus from the farmers (and backyard growers) direct to the public and provides members with the opportunity to add a few extras as they go.
Reminding us once again that farmers are worth their weight in gold, below is the list of what’s available in the box and in the shop (and who grew it) this week:
IN THE BOX:
- Organic Sebago Potato, Kenneth, Kaban
- Homegrown Zucchini, Beetroots, Les & Bettie, Biboohra
- Biodynamic Russian Garlic, John and Adam, Kaban
- Organic Tomatoes, Lena, Koah
- Koah gold Oranges, Big Bulky Watermelon, Bruno and Carlo, Koah
- Cert. Organic Limes, Mint & Chokos Vi and Stan, Red Hill
- Basil, Vince and Kerri, Paddy´s Green
- Organic baby Bak Choi or Organic Baby Buk Choi or Organic Choy sum, (Asian Veggies)
- SkyBurry Red Paw Paw, Paddy´s Green
- Pineapple, Stephen, paddy’s Green
- White & also Red Onions, Arilo (Vince’s brother) Channal Road.
- Silverbeet, Vince, Spring Creek
- Organic Lettuce, Thom, Closey River
IN THE SHOP IN CAIRNS : (the list above PLUS the list below !)
- Organic Parsley
- Watermelons, Koah, Bruno.
- Organic Star Apple, Speewah, Chrystel
- Organic Black Sapote, Kuranda, Matt
- Organic Eggplant, Organic Tomatoes, Organic greens, Machans Beach, Jez
- Organic Kipfler, Kaban, Kenneth
- Organic Asian Veggies 3 varieties above(!), Organic Daikon, (and more Organic Thai Eggplant Faces),White Rock, Van
- Organic Spring Onions, Organic Sugar Bananas, Organic Spinach bagged, Organic Roma Tomatoes, Organic Choko’s, Tolga, Louie and Dianella (and Otto)
- Organic Tumeric, Ginger and garlic, various, Speewah.
- Yamagishi Happy Eggs, South Johnston, Yas
- Raw untreated Honey from Mareeba, John
- Butternut Pumpkin, Papa Miguel, Mutchilba.
- Discounted Oranges, Tomatoes, Bananas and Pawpaws and more coming in from your backyard.
- Plus lots more dried local fruit in the Pantry.
- Organic & Permaculture Eggplants, Organic Tomatillos, Organic Herbs and Salad Greens, Machans Beach, Jez & Allister.
- PLUS more of course.
(Sadly they don’t service the Melbourne area, but you can join a local CSA – check out CERES’ Fair Food.)