Invitation to Australia’s Climate Action Summit
Posted in Events by Ferne Edwards on October 23rd, 2008
Please find an invitation below from Australia’s Climate Action Summit Organising Team.
Let’s make 2009 the year the Australian climate movement turned the tide of history! In February, community climate action groups from across the continent are joining together for Australia’s Climate Action Summit in Canberra, the weekend before the first day of the 2009 Federal Parliament.
Last year, Kevin Rudd was elected to government in the world’s first climate change election. One year on, we are still waiting for the urgent action needed to peak our greenhouse gas emissions and begin this urgent transition to renewable energy. In December 2009, Kevin Rudd will meet with world leaders in Copenhagen, to set the framework and benchmarks for future global action on climate change. We need to ensure the Australian Government goes to Copenhagen with the strongest commitment to reducing greenhouse pollution and averting runaway climate change.
In February at Australia’s Climate Action Summit, people from climate change groups will create and launch a cohesive and strategic national climate campaign, form a national grassroots network, and send a powerful message on the eve of the second year of the Rudd Government that sets the agenda for urgent climate action.
What will happen at Australia’s Climate Action Summit:
Australia’ Climate Action Summit will be two days of facilitated meetings and workshops to build a unified national climate campaign. It will be followed by one day of dynamic training in climate campaigning skills for taking action, facilitating climate action groups, effective lobbying and more. On the first day of the 2009 Federal Parliament, we will mobilise thousands of people in a high profile demonstration for real action on climate change.
Check out the website as it develops: www.climatesummit. org.au
How you can support Australia’s Climate Action Summit:
1. Join, build or form a climate change group in your area, and come along to Australia’s Climate Action Summit http://www.climatemovement.org.au/groups/
2. Write proposals for a national climate change campaign, network and policy â€“ more information coming soon.
3. Encourage and mobilise people in your area to come along: contact info @climatesummit.org.au for posters, flyers and information packs.
4. Get involved in Summit organising meetings (fortnightly phone link ups) or one of the working groups: contact info @climatesummit.org.au Already, people from Climate Change Balmain-Rozelle, Clean Energy for Eternity Bega, Friends of the Earth Melbourne and Sydney, Greenpeace, Australian Student Environment Network, Climate Action Pittwater and more are working together on this important Summit. We would love your input.
5. If you’re in Canberra, help us organise logistics such as location, accommodation, billeting and food. Contact info @climatesummit.org.au
6. Donate money, equipment, or in kind skills and services: contact info @climatesummit.org.au
We need you and your climate change group in Canberra in February to formulate a strong and strategic national campaign and network. We need you to be part of putting climate change at the very top of the Rudd Government’s agenda. We need to make 2009 the year Australian people turned the tide of history; pushing government, industry, and the globe toward a safe and just climate future.
See you in Canberra! For a safe and just climate future,
Australia’s Climate Action Summit Organising Team
email: info @climatesummit.org.au
phone: 0417 682 541