If you don’t work weekends, Earth Hour starts tonight!
|25 March , 2011 5:00 pm||to||26 March , 2011 9:30 pm|
Melbourne City Skyline before and during Earth Hour 2010 Credit: © WWF / Jones 2010
This Earth Hour announcement was written for the Architecture, Building & Planning Faculty staff here at the University of Melbourne, by Sarah Zappia, Facilities Assistant. I realised I needed the reminder that it really starts tonight, and Sarah graciously allowed me to republish it here. KA
Officially, Earth Hour begins at 8:30PM tomorrow night during which time lights will be switched off around the world for one hour as people unite in a global sustainability movement.
Unless you plan on being at work on a Saturday evening, our Earth Hour starts tonight!
What you can do TONIGHT
- Turn off your computer (including monitors!)
- Turn off computers and projectors in teaching spaces
- Turn off all lights
- Turn off air conditioning or heating
- Turn off any other electrical items
- Of course, taking steps to help the environment shouldn’t be only for one hour of the year.
What you can do ALL THE TIME
- Use the correct bins to minimise landfill
- Use the battery and mobile phone recycling stations offered across campus
- Minimise printing and use digital alternatives wherever possible
- Use a KeepCup or mug for your morning coffee
- Refuse plastic bags or additional unnecessary packaging wherever possible
Thank you for your support!