Electric Vehicle Rally & Racing Car Competitions
Posted in Events by Kate Archdeacon on November 30th, 2010
|12 December , 2010|
|10:30 am||to||4:00 pm|
Photos courtesy ATA EVIG
The ATA‘s Electric Vehicle Interest Group is holding their inaugural rally, The Future of Transport, on Sunday December 12, in conjunction with the Formula SAE competitions where both Swinburne University and the RMIT University will be competing with their electric racing cars. Everyone is welcome.
What is Formula SAE all about?
The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) is an international organisation that encourages Universities and Colleges to build a racing car each year to a specific formula – Formula SAE. The event is now into its 10th year with the first being held in 2000. This year there will be 27 teams from Australia, New Zealand, America, India, Japan and South Korea attending.. Two teams have entered electric cars (Swinburne University & the RMIT University) and 3 teams will be using E85 (ethanol blend). The cars are judged on a number of criteria including endurance and fuel efficiency – not just speed!
The rally will include electric vehicles (EVs) on display, food stalls and vehicle charging stations, so take your own EV along if you have one (let the organisers know ahead of time if you need access to a charging point, please).
Displays will include:
* A variety of electric bikes, mopeds and several high powered registerable electric motor bikes (including one of 8kW)
* Numerous Retro-fit vehicles where you can talk to the owners
* The Aurora solar race car
* Several Blade electric cars
* An electric quad bike
* An electric go cart
* Information on a home grown electric hill climb car
* An electric 4 wheel drive Kawasaki Mule
* Several EV charging stations ( petrol stations of the future )
* A trailerable biodiesel generator
* A demonstration PV charging station
* Crown Coaches electric hybrid bus
* An ATA stand with goods for sale
Bring your EV to show it off. Invitations are open to anyone who has an electric vehicle (car, bike, truck etc) to come along and be a part of the experience.
How to Get There
1. Electric car or electric bike
2. Electric hybrid bus (see below)
3. Electric train – $3.10 Sunday Saver all day full fare ticket – when you get to the Hoppers Crossing station call us on 0433 187 702 to be picked up by the electric hybrid bus or another electric vehicle)
4. OR – heaven forbid but if you really want to stay in the last century – use a fossil fuelled vehicle
Sunday 12 December 2010, 10:30am to 4pm
Victoria University (Werribee East campus), Hoppers Lane, Werribee (Melways 206 J6)
More details on the website, including maps, contact details and an opportunity to make the entire trip in an electric coach.